If you are buying a car with modifications, or you are making modifications to your car, you should inform your insurer. Get as many car insurance quotes as possible as you compare car insurance. Some modifications could void your insurance, and others will increase your premium. The only way to be sure is to check with your insurer or potential insurer.
All of us enjoy owning a car, and men, in particular, love to modify their cars. When you modify your car, you should check with your car insurance company to make sure your car insurance is valid. Some modification may mean your car is no longer insured. Other car modifications may be deemed dangerous and added to the cause of your accident. This could result in your claim not being paid. Always check the details of your policy and talk with your insurer directly about this issue. Insurance is calculated on risk, normally in the considerations of two main issues. The first, will it get stolen, and secondly, the likelihood of collision. Your car modifications will increase both of those chances. Here is a look at some examples to get you thinking.
- Engine Modifications.Engine tuning can cost from a little to a lot. Some of the more modern cars just need a new engine chip and some reprogramming to make the car turn from the standard run-around, into a racing beast. Although these modifications are legal, they will normally void your insurance.
- Suspension.If you like modified cars, then you will definitely want to have the suspension lowered. These kits are relatively cheap, and although they make your car safer to drive, they will also cause your insurance to be void. You must be sure your lowered suspension is inside the legal limit, or you will not be able to get insurance at all. Again, you will need to discuss the matter immediately, if not beforehand, and make sure you are paying the right premium.
- Tinting. Tinting can be very useful and protection against glare. You must be very careful to stay inside the guidelines of your state or region.
- Mobile Phones. Mobile phones can be a tricky issue. We all know that we are not allowed to be holding our car, and so many people have chosen to install a handsfree mobile car kit. The problem here is, if you were using the phone when you got into an accident, the argument that you were not driving with due care, may be made against you. Just because you are not holding the phone, does not mean you were paying sufficient attention to driving. Sure the phone is legal, but also be sure this argument will be made against you.
- Accessoriesto improve your insurance costs.Some accessories, such as an alarm system, can actually reduce the premiums you are paying. In this case, you should check again, which type of alarm system is recognized by your insurer. You will also have to have it professionally installed by a recognized professional. A reversing camera is another item that you can install in your car, and it is likely your insurance premium will be reduced. Studies have shown there are fewer chances of getting involved in a car park bingle with cars that have these modern devices.
Summing up, you should tell your insurer or potential insurer about even the smallest modification you make to your car. If you are buying a car with modifications, make a complete list for when you are getting insurance quotes. All modifications that are legal can normally by insured by someone, but you will be paying the premium cost.